Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Fun with Flies

I officially began work as of yesterday. I'm helping a post doc from medicine look at the metabolic reactions of fruit flies which have been genetically manipulated. Now, I am still confused on exactly the mutation's effect. I know he's looking at longevity but is also interested in behavior/learning. I think the mutations affect these two topics. What is interesting about this is that most adaptations that assure a longer life span cause metabolism to decrease, but it seems that in these flies metabolism actually increases.

My project has been put on hold for a while. I will be looking at the effects that dehydration and dehydration/starvation has on the metabolic rate of roaches and crickets. From frogs to crickets. Hopefully my work will return to amphibians soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home