Tuesday, December 13, 2005

DISASTER

My previous blog sounded so positive. I'm so sad the feeling had to end so quickly.

Today I found out I screwed things up majorly with my grades. Unfortunately I decided to use a grade scale which was not meant for any of the homeworks that my students turned in. Eight of them have inflated grades (2-3% and one has a 4% bonus). So, now we are faced with what to do. Give them the corrected scores (after they have already gotten their grades) or keep the wrong scores (which would give them an advantage over the rest of the class)? If it was up to me I would change the grades and simply tell them it was my screw up and that I'm really not taking any points away which they earned. I know they would be mad at me, but that's what they earned!

Unfortunately, its not all up to me. Which makes me feel like an idiot. Why didn't I pay attention? Every other day I am wishing more and more to just go work at In-N-Out. My biggest problem would be figuring out how to take the burger smell off my clothes at night.

"Welcome to In-N-Out. Can I take your order?"

4 Comments:

At 11:31 PM , Blogger meli said...

Don't listen to this drama queen. It was any easy mistake to make and it is easily fixed. Sure, Rudi has to spend a little bit of her day changing a few grades [literally, a few] here and there but that is her job and she will be over it in 10 seconds. This is not a DISASTER. Chin up, kiddo.

 
At 8:44 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, don't worry about the grading stuff. Almost the same thing happened to me last fall - my first semester TAing. At the beginning of the semester I "said" that I would drop the lowest lab grade. The class prof told all of us TAs that if our student's grades were too high, he'd have to scale or something. Well, my grades were too high, so I just didn't drop the lowest. Then some kid who went to all the trouble of figuring out her own grade squealed on me, and I had to sit down with the prof and figure out what to do. But it all blew over in a day and now it's ancient history. So don't fret!

 
At 4:53 PM , Blogger meli said...

Everyone is so much nicer than I.

 
At 9:11 PM , Blogger GrrlScientist said...

change the grades, tell the students that all sections grades were "normalized" so each class average was 75% (or whatever was decided as the class average) and leave it at that. you didn't screw up. if your students want to be assholes about it, tell them to talk to the professor/course coordinator about it (that's what they are paid for, afterall).

you are there to learn, and that's what you are doing. if you don't have the support you need to do your job, well, be sure to go out with a few good friends, have a few drinks, and then have a few more drinks. your real friends will still love you in the morning, even if you did barf on the subway on the way home after you exposed your weaknesses/"failures" to them.

GrrlScientist

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home